Learn why thousands of small businesses trust Business Insurance Now as their insurance agency.
Take 15 minutes to see how we can help you protect your business.
- FREE, no-obligation quotes.
- Complete one online application to compare multiple quotes.
- Fast response—typically less than 24 hours on week days.
- We are a nationwide insurance agency covering all 48 contiguous states.
- We work directly with you to evaluate your insurance options.
- We only work with the top business insurance carriers in the country.
- Expert, licensed insurance agents to guide you through the process.
General Liability Insurance for Engineers
Commercial general liability insurance covers you should your client, employee, or subcontractor claim that you or one of your employees caused them bodily injury or damaged their property. This type of insurance pays the high costs of a lawsuit or settlement, including defense expenses; bond payments; the income you lose while you're in court; and any judgments and settlements, including required interest and medical expenses for an injured party.
You may think that as an engineer, it's unlikely that you'll ever have to face a general liability claim. Regardless, there's a good chance that your client contracts will require you to carry general liability insurance. Many companies expect all of their contractors to carry this type of insurance—especially those who may spend time visiting the client's offices or potentially hazardous work sites.
What You Need to Know
Regardless of client requirements, general liability insurance is one of the most commonly purchased types of insurance for engineers, and for good reason: Accidents do happen, both at your office and your clients' sites. And it only takes one costly incident to put many small engineering firms out of business.
As a professional engineer, you may have a low-enough risk that you could be eligible to get covered through a discounted package policy called a BOP. Learn whether you qualify.
Get a FREE general liability insurance quote now!
- Not sure how much general liability coverage your engineering business needs? There are several things to consider, such your risk level and the state in which you work. Business Insurance Now's engineering insurance experts are happy to evaluate your business's potential liability and ensure that your policy provides adequate protection.
- Some insurers cover claims caused by your independent contractors, while others may not. To find out whether your contractors are covered, read your policy carefully, or ask your Business Insurance Now agent to help decipher the fine print.
- General liability insurance does not cover claims related to professional negligence or failure to perform your professional duties. For that, you need professional liability insurance.